Two oxen, owner electrocuted at Kakching, Manipur

It is suspected that the wire crossing above the field may have contacted the electric pole, causing the current to run on the ground.

Two oxens were reportedly electrocuted while ploughing in a field at Tejpur Makha Leikai of Hiyanglam assembly constituency under Waikhong Police station, Kakching district on Saturday at around 7 am.

The owner of the oxens, Wairokpam Samarjit, 32, son of Sekhor of Tezpur Makha leikai was also electrocuted but luckily survived. He was rushed to CHC Kakching for treatment. His condition was said to be normal and discharged from the hospital.

As per sources, it is suspected that the wire crossing above the field may have contacted the electric pole, causing the current to run on the ground.

A team of Waikhong Police station came to the spot and picked up the dead oxens. Police informed that a case in connection with the incident has been registered and began investigation.

Samarjit narrated to the mediapersons that he was engaged by some local farmers to plough their fields which are three sangams (local area unit) in total.The incident took place when only six pheidoms (farm beds) were left to complete the ploughing.

While ploughing near an electric pole which stood within the field, they all got electrocuted suddenly. He jumped over and tried to save the oxens.He cut the rope on the oxens by using a sword taken from a local elder coming at that side but it was in vain, he said.

Thoudam Shyam, a social worker from Tezpur, termed the incident as unfortunate and appealed to the concerned authirity to extend help to the owner. He stated that the electrification work was done by the department about 4-5 months ago at Tezpur Makha leikai which falls under the polling station number 38-22 of Hiyanglam assembly constituency after urging the relevant authority to avail electricity at Tezpur.

As the electrification process was done recently, the wires are not properly installed. The local people had also requested the authority concerned to finish the work at the earliest. Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the staff of the department were not able to turn up for the work and kept the installation incomplete and thus led to the incident, he added.

First Published:June 13, 2020, 11:24 p.m.