Meghalaya government decides not to extend two-day lockdown of Shillong Urban Agglomeration

The two-day long lockdown in Shillong Urban Agglomeration was promulgated from Monday and will conclude at 5 am on Wednesday.

The Government of Meghalaya has informed on Tuesday that it will not be extending the two-day lockdown of Shillong Urban Agglomeration that comes to an end on Wednesday.

It may be mentioned that the two-day long lockdown in Shillong Urban Agglomeration was promulgated from Monday and will conclude at 5 am on Wednesday.

The lockdown was imposed after a surge of Covid-19 cases in the state capital.

Deputy Chief Minister Prestone Tynsong informed that, in the couple of days, the situation has been improving as a drop in the number of Covid-19 cases has been reported.

The lockdown was imposed on July 13 and 14 to trace people who came into contact with 41 people who had attended a wedding at Greenwood Resort in Guwahati and another reception which was held at Shillong. What followed was a surge in the number of positive Covid-19 cases in Shillong.

Tynsong also said that the situation is improving as the number of cases being detected has dropped, even as he underscored that “one cannot be complacent”.

“We have decided not to continue with the lockdown since the contact tracing of the wedding attendees at Greenwood Resort and in Shillong has been completed,” he informed.

Tynsong also said that the two-day total lockdown on Monday and Tuesday in the Shillong Agglomeration has helped the government complete the contact tracing of the 41 persons.

“So far 198 contacts have been traced and as per the reports of the Health authorities, the tracing is almost completed and so they have decided not to extend it (lock-down),” he added.

The Deputy Chief Minister further informed that the details of the 198 contacts will be shared with the traditional headmen and the Community Covid-19 Management teams of various localities so that they can be monitored while they are under home quarantine.

Meanwhile, the Director Health Services (MI), Dr. Aman War said that out of 41 people who attended the wedding party at Greenwood Resort in Guwahati, two of them have tested positive for Covid-19 and 8 of their high risk contacts have also tested positive.

“All the main contacts have been tested, and they were found negative except eight who have tested positive,” Dr. War said.

First Published:July 14, 2020, 10:43 p.m.

Leave a comment