Wednesday, April 01, 2020

Coronavirus emergency holds grave threat for world: WHO
IFP Bureau | First Published: February 11, 2020 20:37:46 pm
Responsive image

World Health Organization (WHO) director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Tuesday stated that novel coronavirus outbreak has posed a “grave threat for the rest of the world.” 

Ghebreyesus was speaking at the launch of two-day meeting organised for accelerating research into drugs, diagnostics and vaccines to combat the virus amid growing concerns about its ability to spread.  He appealed to the health authorities to share virus samples and speed up research into drugs and vaccines.  

Also Read: Coronavirus death toll 1000; WHO expert team arrives in China

The meeting was attended by more than 400 researchers and national authorities, including some, participating by video conference from mainland China and Taiwan.

Ghebreyesus said that China has reported 42,708 confirmed cases, including 1,017 deaths so far.

“We hope that one of the outcomes of this meeting will be an agreed roadmap for research around which researchers and donors will align,” Tedros told the meeting.

“To defeat this outbreak, we need open and equitable sharing, according to the principles of fairness and equity,” he added. 

Also Read: Coronavirus Outbreak: Manipur bans import of Myanmar-China made packaged food items

Please follow and like us:
Visit Us
Tweet
Whatsapp

The Imphal Free Press welcomes your inputs and feedbacks.
Email us for feedbacks and Press Release at: imphalfreepress96@gmail.com
For Advertisement: ads.imphalfreepress@gmail.com
Call us at 0385 2441704