Donald Trump hints at creating own platform after Twitter bans his personal account permanently

Twitter Inc permanently banned Trump on Friday citing a risk of further incitement of violence following the storming of the US Capitol on Wednesday.


After micro-blogging site Twitter banned his personal account on Friday, US President Donald Trump suggested that he would look at creating his own platform.

Trump tweeted from the US president's official @Potus account suggesting he would "look at the possibilities of building out our own platform in the future".

But the tweets were removed immediately from Twitter as soon as they were posted.

Twitter Inc has permanently banned Trump citing a risk of further incitement of violence following the storming of the US Capitol on Wednesday.

“After close review of recent Tweets from the @realDonaldTrump account and the context around them — specifically how they are being received and interpreted on and off Twitter — we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement of violence,” the company wrote in a blog post on Friday.

On Friday, Trump tweeted "The 75,000,000 great American Patriots who voted for me, AMERICA FIRST, and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, will have a GIANT VOICE long into the future. They will not be disrespected or treated unfairly in any way, shape or form!!!"
Shortly thereafter, the President tweeted, "To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January 20th.”
Twitter said that due to the ongoing tensions in the United States, and an uptick in the global conversation in regards to the people who violently stormed the Capitol on Wednesday, these two tweets must be read in the context of broader events in the country and the ways in which the President’s statements can be mobilized by different audiences.

Twitter said this was "being received by a number of his supporters as further confirmation that the election was not legitimate" and the tweets were "in violation of the Glorification of Violence Policy".

President Donald Trump was blocked for 12 hours on Wednesday after he called the people who stormed the US Capitol “Patriots”. Twitter had warned Trump that it would ban him permanently if he breaks the social networking platform rule again.

Meanwhile, Trump said that he won't be attending the inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden on January 20. Trump will be the first incumbent President to skip his successor’s inauguration. However, Vice-President Mike Pence is still expected to attend the inauguration.

It is White House tradition that both the outgoing and incoming Presidents attend the ceremony for nation peaceful transition of power.

Earlier in December, the President-elect’s incoming White house press secretary Jen Psaki had said that "Trump attending the inauguration was not top of mind for Biden".

Biden’s transition team has not given any response to Trump’s tweet yet.

ALSO READ

Dzukou Valley wildfire controlled, says Manipur CM Biren

Maharashtra: 10 babies killed in hospital fire; probe ordered

Manipur's COVID-19 death toll climbs to 365

 

 



 

First Published:Jan. 9, 2021, 6:32 p.m.

Leave a comment