15 government scholarship schemes and programmes for welfare of Christians, Muslims | How to avail
Various schemes for the welfare and development of six centrally notified minority communities have been implemented by the Minority Affairs Ministry in India.
The Minority Affairs Ministry has implemented various programmes and schemes across all states and Union territories in India for the welfare and development of six centrally notified minority communities namely, Buddhists, Christians, Jains, Muslims, Parsis and Sikhs.
Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi had provided the list in a written reply in the Lok Sabha on Tuesday.
1. Pre-Matric Scholarship Scheme, Post-Matric Scholarship Scheme, Merit-cum-Means based Scholarship Scheme - For educational empowerment of students, through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) mode.
2. Maulana Azad National Fellowship Scheme - Provide fellowships in the form of financial assistance.
3. NayaSavera - Free Coaching and Allied Scheme - The Scheme aims to provide free coaching to students/candidates belonging to economically weaker sections of minority communities for preparation of entrance examinations of technical/ professional courses and competitive examinations.
4. Padho Pardesh - Scheme of interest subsidy to students of economically weaker sections of minority communities on educational loans for overseas higher studies.
5. Nai Udaan - Support for students clearing Prelims conducted by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC), State Public Service Commission (SPSC) and Staff Selection Commission (SSC) etc.
6. Nai Roshni - Leadership development of women belonging to minority communities.
7. SeekhoAurKamao - Skill development scheme for youth of 14 - 35 years age group and aiming at improving the employability of existing workers, school dropouts etc.
8. Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram (PMJVK) - Implemented for the benefit of the people from all sections of the society in identified Areas for development of infrastructure projects with emphasis on education, skill , health sectors etc.
9. Jiyo Parsi - Scheme for containing population decline of Parsis in India.
10. USTTAD (Upgrading the Skills and Training in Traditional Arts/Crafts for Development) - Launched in May 2015 aims to preserve rich heritage of traditional skills of indigenous artisans/craftsmen. Under this scheme HunnarHaats are also held all over the country to provide nationwide marketing platform to Minority artisans & entrepreneurs and to create employment opportunities.
11. Nai Manzil - A scheme for formal school education and skilling of school dropouts launched in August 2015.
12. HamariDharohar - A scheme to preserve rich heritage of minority communities of India.
13. Maulana Azad Education Foundation (MAEF) implements education and employment oriented related programmes as follows (a) Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship for Meritorious Girls belonging to the economically weaker sections of Minorities under which scholarship is awarded to minority girl students (b) Gharib Nawaz Employment Scheme started in 2017-18 for providing short term job oriented skill development training to youth. (c) Bridge Course for madrasa students and school dropouts.
15. Equity to National Minorities Development and Finance Corporation (NMDFC) for providing concessional loans to minorities for self-employment and income generating ventures.
In addition to the above, the ministry has also implemented schemes for strengthening State Waqf Boards and coordinates arrangements for annual Haj pilgrimage.
How to avail the scholarship schemes
Details of the schemes and its achievements in the country are available on the website of the Ministry ( www.minorityaffairs.gov.in) and on the website of MAEF (www.maef.nic.in) and NMDFC (www.nmdfc.org.) respectively). Interested persons can visit the websites for details on how to avail the schemes and programmes and benefit from the government's efforts.